Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Veere - A Beautiful Town

My bracing walk on Sunday morning left me with quite and appetite, so we decided to have lunch in the nearby town of Verre (pronounced 'Vera,' as in Dame Vera Lynne) before leaving Zeeland to return to Eindhoven.

The skyline in Veere is dominated by a very ornate church spire. The highly decorated spire struck me as strange, given the generally Calvinistic nature of the Dutch.
Veere is certainly an old town and has many small narrow streets that harken from a time long before the motor car was thought of. In many ways it reminded me of my native Hampstead, both in terms of architecture and atmosphere.
We visited a couple of restaurants before settling on Pieter Bliek's 'Bliek Eten & Drinken' - the menu looked good and we were not disappointed. Not surprising, as I subsequently discovered this is the showcase for this very popular chef's fashionable wholesale bakery - rather like the La Brea Bakery.

No comments: